Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Venice


I was in Venice last weekend for Carnevale (which, oh my god), and I snapped this photo:



[Image description: A sticker on a ramp fills most of the frame and reads “Città Di Venezia" in smaller white letters and "Accessible Venice” in large yellow print.]

Walking around the city, Venice sure didn’t seem very accessible – so many bridges with stairs, a few streets so narrow that a wheelchair definitely wouldn’t fit – but apparently the city has been doing a lot to increase its accessibility. The water taxis are accessible, and of course the lack of cars helps with safety. I took the above picture on a ramp along the main promenade. The Italian girl I was with told me they installed the raised ramps in case of flooding, but of course they also help make a major thoroughfare accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment