Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Travel, part 2: Advice for flying with Dysautonomia


Flying with a chronic illness is one of my very least favorite things, but going to school 3,000 from home and a general inclination towards seeing new places makes it an inevitability for me. Having flown to and from school so many times now, I have my routine down to a science. You’ll obviously have your own preferences, but here is what works for me.

  • Eat something and take your meds as soon as you wake up, even if it’s four in the morning. I once neglected to take my medicine until after I was up in the air, and that was a very unpleasant experience. If you’re switching time zones your medicine schedule will be thrown a little off any way, so you might as well get your Florinef or Midodrine or what-have-you in your system as soon as you can.


  • Drink water constantly. This seems like such a no-brainer, but it’s easy to get distracted and forget. I bring two empty water bottles in my carry-on and fill them up from a water fountain once I get through security.




  • Bring snacks (snacks on snacks on snacks). I’m a fan of sandwiches, but fruit is also good, especially when there’s turbulence. And bring hand sanitizer! Plane germs + weak immune systems does not a good match make.


  • If there is turbulence and your symptoms start flaring, the best thing you can do is to breathe deeply and sip water. I also order a sprite from the flight attendants in an effort to preemptively settle my stomach, but I’m honestly not sure about the efficacy of that approach.


Once you’ve landed, give yourself time to recuperate before you dive into a mess of activity. And after you’ve rested up, enjoy your vacation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment